Developmental Disability And Mental Health
Spandan is Unique Holistic Multidisciplinary Institute For Developmental Disability And Mental Health, which are the most neglected area of healthcare and education.
“Many things we need can wait. The child cannot. Now is the time his bones are formed, his mind developed. To him we cannot say tomorrow, his name is today.”
We are catering to people from the low socio-economic class. Through our services, we have helped thousands of disabled children and have been able to restore smiles on the face of the number of distressed parents. We are running a Government-recognized Holistic Child Care Centre and Special School in Ghatkopar, Mumbai. It has helped hundreds of special children and restored smiles on the faces of their distressed parents. We have set up Spandan Holistic Mother – and – Child Care Hospital, at Deonar, Mumbai, which is a full-fledged hospital dedicated to mother and children which can provide holistic multidisciplinary care in a cost-effective way.
We carry out the research-based intervention of various disciplines like Occupational Therapy, Psychotherapy, Homoeopathy etc. for the total welfare of special children. The success stories of our Centre have been acknowledged and appreciated by the AYUSH (Ayurveda, Unani, Siddha and Homeopathy) Ministry, which has selected our Institute for upgradation to CENTRE OF EXCELLENCE. Dynamic integrated approach not only helps to deliver excellence in clinical services but also contributes to providing a platform for education and training for Homoeopaths, pediatrician, psychologists, educators etc.
We strongly believe in community care, hence OUTREACH is an integral part of our functioning. We have screened over 11,000 students from schools from Urban Slums for identification of mental health and disability. We have been helping more than 3,300 school children on a regular basis.
We are running a Government-recognized Holistic Child Care Centre and Special School in Ghatkopar. It has helped hundreds of special children and restored smiles on the faces of their distressed parents. Through our outreach projects in the slums of Mankhurd, Govandi, Deonar and Ramabai Ambedkar Nagar (adjoining the Eastern Express Highway in Sion) and Deonar, we serve the most deprived and neglected sections of Mumbai’s population.
- As per the latest census, there are approximately 27 million disabled (differently-abled) people in India. In Mumbai, there are three hundred thousand differently able children who are in need of medical, surgical, and various therapeutic interventions.
- Incidence of Developmental Disability And Mental Health in M east ward and N ward of MCGM are significantly high.
- Compared to the industrialized world, India has significantly higher rates of malnutrition, maternal morbidity and mortality, and infant morbidity and mortality and Developmental Disability And Mental Health cases.
- These complications are aggravated in slums due to lack of availability, accessibility, and affordability of specialty hospitals. These rates are particularly pronounced in the M and N ward of MCGM as a major fraction of the population lives in slums.
- In the Greater Mumbai Metropolitan area, there is not a single mother and child care Public hospital from Hajji Ali (in South Bombay) to Kalyan (at the far end of the city) which can cater to Disability in Holistic way.
- We at Spandan are tackling this issue of dearth of appropriate affordable facilities for differently-abled children in Mumbai.
At Spandan, we carry out holistic intervention through a multidisciplinary team of Homoeopaths, Paediatrician, Neurologist, Paediatric Orthopaedic Surgeon, Plastic Surgeon, Clinical Psychologist, Counsellor, Psychotherapist, Occupational therapist, Special Educators, Speech therapist, Applied Behaviour Analysis therapist, relationship development intervention expert, Nutrition expert, Physiotherapist, Neurodevelopment therapist, Social workers and Yoga therapist. Homeopathy remains preferred line of medical treatment, but as and when required integrated approach is followed. Intervention is infact through Research based Homeopathy.
- There is strong evidence showing how a holistic, multidisciplinary, multi-sectoral approach can bring about desirable changes in disability and mental health disorders. It is cost-effective and provides total solution contributing effectively in mainstreaming and inclusion of the differently-abled children.
- By reducing the magnitude of disability and mental health dysfunctions and by rehabilitating, mainstreaming, disabled individuals, by correcting malnutrition, there is an all-round positive impact on the family & thus society. Parents get greater freedom and space to improve their productive functioning. Expenses on the disabled also reduce. This has a definite impact on reducing poverty. We focus on DEADDICTION picking up various slums for the project. we also run deaddiction clinic.
- In Sathenagar slums, to improve awareness on addiction, we carry out cultural program with the help of local NGO Mental Health Projects: We have successfully conducted intervention projects in Mental Health especially Mood Disorder(Depression), Conduct disorders and of course Autism, ADHD etc.
Regular workshops to improve caretaker’s mental abilities are important features.
The centerpiece of the organization’s work is a severely neglected area — mental health. Not only is the country starved of mental health professionals and services, but existing provisions are unaffordable and focused primarily on diagnosing and prescribing medication, not holistic healing.
Spandan aims to change the narrative around mental health. Ranging from depression to criminal propensity, from autism to learning disabilities, and from milder tobacco addictions to sinister drug dependencies, Spandan delves deep into the psychodynamic and psychosocial factors that engender and perpetuate mental disorders in children and adolescents.
Through their holistic healing approach, the organization aims to effect a reduction in both disability parameters and dysfunctional mental health parameters in order to respectfully rehabilitate these children and adolescents into mainstream ecosystems of education.