Neuro-Muscular Rehabilitation Centre and Unit for Autism
- Spandan, under its Advance centre for Autism and slow learner and ADHD Children, provides comprehensive care through its specialized education modules, as we have a sensory park to deal with sensory issues of children.
- At Spandan, under the Neuro-Muscular Rehabilitation center, we provide comprehensive care for Spastics.
This is an exclusive unit dedicated to the needs of children with Neuro-Orthopaedic disorders and congenital disabilities like Cerebral Palsy, Spina Bifida, Club Foot, Poliomyelitis, Myopathies, Muscular Dystrophies, etc. A large number of children with these disorders hold mental retardation, epilepsy, speech difficulties, etc. We have evolved a specialized program, and we possess the necessary skill and expertise to manage these conditions. Even today, we have been receiving patients not only from various parts of Mumbai or Maharashtra but from other states too.
In comparison to such a vast population that we have earlier mentioned, there is only one hospital at Haji Ali. Since these children require intensive, regular, and long term therapy, they have to be carried to and fro to Haji Ali from different parts of the city. Thus, causing high stress in the resources of the affected parents in terms of man-hours, money, and effort.
Therefore, there is a need for a well-equipped hospital with modern infrastructure. Also, a dedicated team that will provide services to children with Neuro-muscular disabilities at affordable rates is the need of the hour for our metropolis.
To solve these problems, the establishment of this unit was crucial.
It would comprise of the following sub-units:
- A well equipped surgical unit
- Recovery rooms
- Specialized Gait analysis and training unit
- Well equipped therapy unit, which will provide intensive physiotherapy and play therapy. The latest and modern types of equipment offer qualitative Neurodevelopmental treatment and sensory integration therapy.
The team will consist of the following experts:
- Pediatric Orthopedic Surgeon
- Homoeopathic Doctors
- Developmental Therapist
- Special Educators
Role of Paediatric Orthopaedic Surgeon:
He/She thoroughly evaluates the case and coordinates with O.T. and P.T. along with Homoeopathic doctors and other associated experts. They carry out corrective and restorative surgeries whenever required.
Role of Neurologist:
Neurologist helps in managing associated neurological dysfunctions like epilepsy etc. They ought to provide valuable guidance during the overall management.
Role of Physiotherapist and Occupational Therapy:
They help to improve tone, mobilization, and functional capacity. They use various approaches like Neurodevelopmental therapy, Sensory Integration therapy, Bobath’s approach, etc. as they rationally utilize splintage and accessories.
They regularly work with children in more reliable ways to use their arms, hands, and upper body. They teach children better or easier ways to write, draw, brush their teeth, dress, and feed themselves, or control their wheelchair. Occupational therapists also help children find the right special equipment to make some everyday tasks easier.
Role of Homoeopathy:
- Homoeopathic medicine corrects the ‘defective motor patterns,’ and so there is improvement seen in coordination as well as perception.
- It helps in controlling involuntary jerky movements.
- It helps improving balancing and equilibrium
- Correction in an altered state of sensitivity. Various fears like height, loud noise, etc. are remarkably reduced.
- It helps in the management of underlying neurological and metabolic disturbances like seizures.
- The child starts appearing ‘calmer’ and ‘at ease.’ He/she starts showing improvement in behavioral disturbances like restlessness, impulsiveness, tantrums, etc. these developments help the child to be ‘more receptive’ to the therapies.
- We will be able to cater to almost 16 lacs of slum population through this project.
- Cost-effectively provide quality care.
- Provide Multidisciplinary holistic care of children with Neuromuscular disabilities.
- Surgical intervention at cost-effective rates for complex cases.
- We will be able to cater to the most underprivileged section of the society, considering the vast slums around our proposed centre.
- We will be able to rehabilitate many of the affected people through our networking with the community, NGOs, Corporates, small business establishments, etc.
- Our centre will act as a model in the field of neuromuscular rehabilitation and treatment given following unique aspects of a perfect synergy between modern sciences and homoeopathy
This unit will work in coordination with other units to promote research and focus on programs, camps, etc.