This is an exclusive unit dedicated to the needs of children with Neuro-Orthopaedic disorders and birth defects like Cerebral Palsy, Spina bifida, Club foot, Poliomyelitis, myopathies, Muscular dystrophies etc. A large number of children with these disorders also have mental retardation, epilepsy, speech difficulties etc. We have evolved specialized programme and we possess the necessary skill and expertise to manage these conditions. Even today, we have been receiving patients not only from various parts of Mumbai or Maharashtra but from other states too.
This highlights the great need of such services. In comparison to such a huge population that we have earlier mentioned, there is only one hospital at Haji Ali. Since these children require intensive, regular and long term therapy they have to be carried to and fro to Haji Ali from other parts of the city. This causes tremendous strain in the resources of the affected parents in terms of man hours, money and effort.
Therefore, there is a need of a well equipped, hospital with modern infrastructure and dedicated team which will provide services to the children with Neuro-muscular disabilities at affordable rates is the need of the hour for our metropolis.
Hence we have thought of establishing this unit.
It would comprise of the following sub-units:
- Well equipped surgical unit
- Recovery rooms
- Specialized Gait analysis and training unit
- Well equipped therapy unit which will provide intensive physiotherapy, Play therapy. Latest and modern equipments to provide qualitative Neuro developmental therapy and sensory integration therapy.
Team will have following experts:
- Pediatric Orthopedic surgeon
- Homoeopathic Doctors
- Developmental Therapist
- Special Educators.
Role of Paediatric Orthopaedic Surgeon:
He thoroughly evaluates the case and coordinates with O.T. and P.T. as well as with Homoeopathic doctors and other relevant experts. He carries out corrective and restorative surgeries whenever necessary.
Role of Neurologist
Neurologist helps in managing associated neurological dysfunctions like epilepsy etc. Provides valuable guidance in overall management
Role of physiotherapist and Occupational Therapy
They help to improve tone, mobilization and functional capacity. They use various approaches like Neurodevelopmental therapy, sensory integration therapy, Bobath’s approach etc. they rationally utilize splintage and accessories.
They usually work with children on better ways to use their arms, hands, and upper body. They may teach children better or easier ways to write, draw, brush their teeth, dress and feed themselves, or control their wheelchair. Occupational therapists also help children find the right special equipment to make some everyday tasks easier.
Role of Homoeopathy:
- Homoeopathic medicine correct the defective ‘ motor patterns’ and so there is improved seen in coordination as well as perception.
- Helps in controlling in involuntary jerky movements.
- Improvement is also seen in balancing and equilibrium
- Correction in altered state of sensitivity. Various fears like height, loud noise etc are remarkably reduced.
- Management of underlying neurological and metabolic disturbance like seizures.
- Child starts appearing ‘calmer’ and ‘at ease’. He / she starts showing improvement in behavioural disturbances like restlessness, impulsiveness, tantrums etc. these developments help the child to be ‘ more receptive’ to the therapies.
- We will be able to cater almost 16 lacs of slum population through this project.
- Quality care in cost effective way.
- Multidisciplinary holistic care of children with Neuromuscular disabilities.
- Surgical intervention at cost effective rates for complex cases.
- We will be able to cater to the most underprivileged section of the society keeping in view the vast slums around our proposed centre.
- We will be able to rehabilitate many of affected people through our networking with community, NGOs, Corporates, small business establishments etc.
- Our centre will act as model centre in the field of neuromuscular rehabilitation and treatment in view of following unique aspects of
- A perfect synergy between modern sciences and homoeopathy
This unit will work in coordination with other units to promote research and focus on prorgrammes, camps etc.